Thursday 4 January 2018

Arabian Nights Progress Report 1

This new year I have decided that while I love hardanger and I like cross stitch surface embroidery and I will never have such an intimate relationship.
Nevertheless, Arabian Nights is progressing.   I started off using the floss ply as per the "recipe" but it was too thick for my liking and difficult to keep an even tension on four separate strands.   So I reversed myself out of the corner, made my own decision and am much happier now.
While the transfer survived 45 years on paper, I doubted that it would wear so well when transferred to the fabric so have folded up the bottom and am working from the top down. 
Although I say that I don't enjoy surface embroidery as much it is fun learning the different stitches even if I do have to hunt out my old stitch dictionary for assistance.   So far pricked finger tips, strained eyesight and less than 100% enthusiasm have produced this. (Excuse the poor photography)

7 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your progress is beautiful--very challenging to work on a project which you do not love

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I think your progress is very impressive Margaret, well done.

Justine said...

That's beautiful, Margaret. I love the colours. Amazing to think that the transfer worked after all those years!

deb said...

It's looking marvelous! Would think the dark fabric would be difficult to work on, but you've done so much!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Love the colours on this. I am definitely a cross stitcher not an embroider too.

Leonore Winterer said...

I haven't dared try something like this yet, but I'd love to - if only to learn all those different stitches! I don't think I'd be very good though, I prefer having clear instructions over improvising. Your is looking spectacular!

Anna van Schurman said...

Less than 100% enthusiasm! LOL. I started as a surface embroiderer in the 70s, but you'll notive I haven't been back. ;)