Monday 25 January 2016

Silver linings

At work I have become close friends with Polycom HDX.   You haven't heard of him?   Believe me, he is not someone a lady wants to set her cap at.
He (and he is most determinedly male!!) is the AVL (Audio Visual Link) machine and sometime ago I got asked to help connect him up.   The various cables at the rear seemed fairly simple and by some stroke of good fortune when I turned him on he worked:-)   Since then I have become what The Department calls the "go-to person" for the AVL unit and every time I am asked to assist I have many anxious moments and heave huge sighs of relief when everything works.
Today was one such occasion when a local TV station came to conduct a pre-interview test with our equipment linking to another Department facility.  The extremely skinny and very fashionable journalist was very friendly but I liked her even more because she brought with her John.   And John is an expert in AVL.   Watching John navigate his way around the buttons on the remote control was amazing and so very helpful, even though that was not the intended outcome of their visit.  What's more John is coming back on Friday and bringing with him John Number Two so I may learn even more.  This is certainly a silver lining to what has been for the past 10 months a very dark cloud on my horizon.

4 comments:

cucki said...

Wow it's interesting :)

Karen said...

I know where you're coming from Margaret. I have a very techy job and for the last 6 months I've been working on technology that is completely new to me. It is so nice when you find someone that is knowledgeable and willing to share what they know. Good luck with learning more about the AVL. :)

KimM said...

Sounds like you have not only one, but TWO "Knights in Shining Armor" :)
xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Have a good day with the Two Johns!
I used to have a desk near the photocopier so of course I was the resident expert on paper jams etc!