Sunday 15 November 2015

Missing in Action?

My absence from this blog was planned.   The two of us went north for a few days break at Waitangi. Blessed with wonderful weather and good health for the HD3QBEM we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
One day we went shopping at a small country town which happens to boast an excellent shoe shop and I acquired a new pair of summer sandals.   Long narrow feet are a problem to fit and I find it very difficult to find shoes I like and that like me!  This shop stocks European brands and they fit well.  Success :-)
I went for a walk along the beautiful bay and at the ferry terminal found what has to be the smallest library ever.   An old red telephone box has been repurposed.   There were no instructions but I am assuming that one leaves an offering and takes another book.   Having no offering to leave I reluctantly left behind a book I would rather have liked to snatch.
The next day we travelled around the country lanes to the HD3QBEM's school girl haunts.   The houses are long since gone and the mangroves have invaded the harbour but in her mind's digital camera it was still a place of happy memories.
Hotel light is not good for stitching but I did make a start on Woodland Delight.   In my humble opinion the colours of the thread are too close to the colours of the linen and after considerable cogitating I have decided to keep the same colours and differentiate with stitch.   This will mean rice stitch and smyrna cross but a happier stitcher!
Since coming home I have completed the stitching for the Hardanger Jewellery Roll and am really pleased with it.   This is a terrible photo and the colour doesn't show well but I am recording each stage of this project.   So before I construct -  here are the inner small pockets. Caron thread is not good for this type of work and the colour I chose is far too subtle in its variegations but the finished product will be exactly what I want.   More on this saga to follow.
And on that note, good night all.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

What a wonderful trip!

Sheryl said...

stitching looking lovely as always.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Very belated happy birthday wishes Margaret. I'm glad you and your mum enjoyed your trip. Your stitching looks great as always. You choose such classy designs to work on. Hope your week is going well, think of us in the midst of very stormy, wet weather:-)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Glad you had a nice trip. Some of the phone boxes here have been turned into libraries too.
Your stitching looks good, even under hotel lighting!