Thursday 15 January 2015

Update

The day before yesterday was memorable for two reasons.
I actually made a start in the back panel of the Sampler Casket.   Here's a shot of the bottom right corner of the floral wreath.   There are words of a verse to go all round, while I decide what I will put in the centre of the wreath.   My initials and the year may make this casket less acceptable to nieces or nephews who I am hoping will treasure this when I am gone.   Any suggestions for alternatives?
Also I had an interview for a position with the New Zealand Department of Corrections and returned home after a two hour grilling on, among other topics, my cultural sensitivity(they seemed fascinated that I had lived in Japan and worked for 21 years for a Japanese company - strange when most of the Corrections clients will be of a very different ethnicity!);  a typing speed test and a test of ability with Microsoft Excel.   Somehow I felt as if I had sat a major examination and was certain I had failed. That night was a bad bad night!   And then last night I had a call telling me I was a preferred candidate and would need to have a Drug and Alcohol test and have my criminal record checked.   Considering my only drugs are prescription medicine and my last glass of wine was around 4 years ago I suspect I may pass these checks and so have high hopes.
This afternoon I started sewing another summer dress before it all got too hot in the house and the HD3QBEM and I took a cool drink to a local park and found a shady tree.   Now with dinner over I am about to take up my needle again.




7 comments:

Pamela said...

Beautiful start on the casket and congrats on the interview!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Oh Margaret, I had a good feeling about this one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Good luck with the job--sounds interesting

llknbillburg said...

Lovely start on you casket!! And hoping you get that call soon!! Laura

valerie said...

Great start on the casket panel Margaret! That's positive news on your interview. I hope you pass everything with flying colors. Best of luck!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Personally I think that any family member would like your initials to remind them of their dear aunt.
I have to ask, what is the Dept of Corrections? Is it to do with Law and Order?

Amanda said...

I'm with Jo. The date and initials would make it all the more precious to any niece or nephew who inherited it, and whoever might get it after them as well. I have an overshot coverlet woven by a distant relative-by-marriage. The only reason we even know it is her work is because she took a triangular piece of cotton, cross-stitched her initials on it and sewed it onto one corner of the coverlet. I wish so much she had added the year; we know so little about her, even that shard of information would be valuable.