Saturday 7 June 2014

Sorry I got distracted

Despite rising early, doing the weekly baking, the shopping, the washing, the ironing etc etc I got distracted and haven't any photographs of stitching to show tonight.
This book proved irresistible - so much so that I was reading it in the advertisement breaks of the six o'clock TV news!  I don't want put this book back into the return slot at the library.   I want to re-read it, ponder over it.  
In summary, Will Traynor meets with a tragic accident and is left a wheel chair bound despondent quadriplegic.   Louisa Clark, hired by Will's mother as a care assistant, bounds into his life full of colour, wit and bright ideas.   Several weeks into her six month contract she overhears a conversation and realises why her employment is fixed term.  Subsequently all her efforts go into an "anti-Bucket List" for and on behalf of Will.   Some escapades are comic (the visit to the races), some are moving (the classical music concert), some are heart wrenching (Will's pneumonia), some are familiar (Louisa's birthday party dinner at her home) but nothing prepared me for the final scene or the emptiness I felt on Louisa's behalf.   Me Before You definitely falls into the category of a weepy love story but manages at the same time to be most thought provoking.   Read it for yourself but be warned you will be engrossed and like me, will be totally distracted from your stitching.

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

It is always great to get book recommendations.

KimM said...

Thank you for the review.
xxx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Sounds like a great read Margaret but not for me. I don't do sad and I don't do creepy:-)

cucki said...

Sound like a great book..
Hugs x

Maggie said...

Me Before You is one of my favourite books of all time, so heart wrenching, couldn't get it out of my head for ages and i recommend it to everyone. You are right, it's one to keep.

linda said...

I agree; one of the best books I have read. It is very thought provoking and I did ponder it for days. I do recommend it as well. Very poignantly written.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

If you like this read The Fault with our Stars by Greene