Sunday 25 May 2014

I've been building a cottage

Tonight I've been building a cottage -  well three walls and a base.   Oops it's up side down!   I'm not sure that I like the Est. 2014 but I wasn't brave enough to attempt to change that completely.  The front door, window and trailing roses on the front side are more complicated and will need to wait until tomorrow.   The base has to have initials and I really want an entwined M and S but can't find any in my alphabet books so will have to get out the graph paper and a pencil and chart my own.   That's another job for tomorrow night.
And in the interests of frugality and because linen is very expensive at $140 a metre I have filled all available space on this piece and tacked out the pieces for another project.   This probably means I will need to stitch that project before I can cut out and construct the cottage ??? Oh well, so be it.   I will do that one next so watch this space.
Now another week starts.   Tomorrow is pay day at work so I will have to do the wages first thing.   Everybody loves me on wages day :-)

8 comments:

MartyG said...

Margaret, your cottage is looking lovely. I took this class (and many others) with CA Wells. Her finishing is wonderful. Mine is finished in my curio cabinet. Be careful you aren't being too frugal. You need at 1/2 inch margin on all your pieces, to wrap around your skirtex for construction. Also be careful when stitching CA pieces that you lay all the sides of the pieces in the same direction on the linen. You would be surprise how different the linen count can be warp and weft. With the cottage it should not be that big a deal, but I stitched the pyramid Etui and you had to have all 4 sides going in the same direction. One lady didn't and it was bad. Feel free to email me if you need help. I am sure I kept my instructions and notes. MartyG

MartyG said...

http://withthyneedleandthread.blogspot.com. Check out the blue bunting watch fob that Brenda designed and stitched this week. Hopefully she puts out the pattern soon. MartyG

Pamela said...

Your cottage is beautiful. I'm like you, trying to get as much as I can out of my linen.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely work on the cottage Margaret. I'm shocked at what you're having to pay for linen. I did a comparison and it's roughly £45 per metre for Zweigart Belfast linen over here (online) and converting your NZD it equates to you paying £71 per metre.

KimM said...

The cottage is absolutely gorgeous! Well done@@

stitchersanon said...

Wow...it is stunning!

cucki said...

Wow,,,so beautiful xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The cottage pieces are looking lovely. I am also surprised at the price of the linen. Is it a special type rather than just standard Zweigart?