Sunday 17 May 2009

Quaker Pin Cube is finished - and a day at the Embroiderers gathering

Last Friday night I finished the Quaker Pin Cube so here is a photo. The ecru DMC goes well with the Mulberry linen and I admit to being quite pleased with this. Thanks to Ola and her blog for the inspiration. I will definitely be repeating this - perhaps in a different colourway. Do you like the bunch of grapes behind - that was my first and so far only attempt at stumpwork. Proved to myself that I was more a counted girl!
On Saturday my friend Beth and I drove two and a half hours to Coromandel to a Regional Embroiderer's Day and had a great time. Around the walls of the auditorium where it was all held were several stands of merchants all combining to present severe temptation in stash enhancement! It was fun to chat with others, see what they were stitching, listen to the most interesting speaker and to view the mini exhibition. Each Embroiderers Guild within the region had a small display of some of their work. Some are more traditional embroiderers and others are of the creative textile art variety. One display had a long table runner in exquisite Ukranian Whitework - having tried this myself I was awestruck at the patience that was needed to produce this.I was particularly interested in this Russian Drawnthread Work and the feathery edging to the needlelace panel. Perhaps when I am retired like many of the ladies who produced this work I too, will have the time and hopefully still the patience to do this fine work.
Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

Lula said...

your pin cube looks great. And thanks for sharing pics of other peoples work. I haven't yet tried any drawn thread but they looks so incredible I really fancy giving it a go

Carol R said...

Love your Quaker Pin cube - I've earmarked this for the future use!

Anonymous said...

what wonderful pictures and your cube is execellent the white work is fabulous and your rak is on its way so keep an eye out in the post i hope you find it useful and to your taste..

hohla said...

MARGARET! Quaker cub - SUPER!!!